RELIEF FROM EYE ALLERGIES
We are asked often about how to maintain healthy eyes as the seasons change. Similar to your overall health, there are plenty of steps you can take to maintain healthy eyes in changing environments. Being aware of how the environment affects your body is an important step. Changing seasons is one of the few guarantees in life. By making a conscious effort to maintain a healthy lifestyle, your overall health should improve. Be sure to consult Dr. Annie Bacon prior to undergoing any dramatic lifestyle changes. In general, the following items will lead to a higher level of relief from eye allergies.
- Moisturize and hydrate. Drink plenty of water and moisturize your skin. Be sure to shower regularly.
- Remove your contact lenses.
- Over the counter medications.
- Schedule a Red Eye Appointment with Dr. Annie Bacon: SCHEDULE HERE
- Stop smoking right now or never start.
- Add Omega-3 fatty acids to your diet.
- Stop rubbing your eyes.
- Exercise regularly (150 aerobic minutes/week) and maintain a healthy weight.
- Eat right to protect your healthy eyes. Eat foods like California Avocados, dark leafy greens such as spinach, kale or collared greens, and be sure to include nuts, whole grains and fish that are high is in omega-3 fatty acids such as salmon, albacore tuna, trout and halibut.
- Monitor your healthy eyes by establishing a relationship with an Optometrist and schedule annual comprehensive dilated eye exams. An online refraction is not an eye exam.
- Healthy eyes require protection. Do remember to wear protective eyewear when playing sports or doing activities around the home, like yard work, home repairs or soldering Arduino boards.
- When possible, wear daily disposable contact lenses as they are the healthiest modality for your eyes and our planet.
- Wash your hands before taking out your contact lenses and cleanse your contact lenses properly to avoid infection. Refer to these contact lens care instructions.
- Practice workplace safety by wearing protective eyewear. Remember Murphy’s Law.